1.Ethiopia is officially known as the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and its capital is Addis Ababa.
2. The dominant religion is Christian with most being Orthodox Christians.
3. It is the most populous landlocked country in the world and the second most populous country in Africa.
4. It is bordered by Eritrea to the North and Northeast, Djibouti and Somalia to the East, Sudan and South Sudan to the West and Kenya to the South.
5. Ethiopia was never colonized during the “Scramble for Africa”, but was occupied by the Italians.
6. Ethiopia has the most UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Africa. The nine sites are Aksum, Fasil Ghebbi, Harar, Konso Cultural Landscape, Lower Valley of the Awash, Lower Valley of the Omo, Rock-Hewn Churches, Simien National Park and Tiya.
7.The Ethiopian Calendar has 13 months and it is 7 ½ years behind the Gregorian calendar. New Year in Ethiopia starts on 11th September and a day later in a leap year. The 13th month has only five days or six in a leap year.
8. It is considered home by Rastafarians with the City of Shashamane open to all Rastafarians worldwide to migrate and live freely.
9. Its official language is Amharic and it has over 80 tribes/languages
10. Kenyans do not require a visa prior to visiting Ethiopia and can stay up to one year.
My adventure in Ethiopia is shared here: